Reading Overview for Exam 2
(Winter 2017, No Sun Chapter)
Moon Phases and Eclipses / Cycles of the Moon
total eclipse (lunar or solar)
partial eclipse (lunar or solar)
path of totality
diamond ring effect
Origin of the Solar System
solar system origin hypotheses:
angular momentum problem
(Some of these
may be asked as multiple-choice questions.)
1) If you looked back at Earth from the moon, what phase would Earth have when the moon was full? New? A first-quarter moon? A waxing crescent? Other phases?
2) Why do solar eclipses happen only at new moon? Why not every new moon?
3) What produced the iron in Earth’s core and the heavier elements like iodine?
4) What evidence can you cite that disks of gas and dust are common around young stars?
5) What process cleared the protoplanetary nebula away and ended planet building?